Friday, January 3, 2014

Six Months Left in Beautiful Guinea

So I think we can all agree that I won’t be winning any awards for my blogging abilities. Every time I sat down to write the blog, I was never really able to put my experiences into words.

The happiness I feel when my students understand a math concept. The giddiness I felt when my village finally got cell phone service. The frustration I feel when I get yet another marriage proposal from a stranger. The desperation I feel when I see a child dying from a preventable disease. The anticipation I felt as I waited for the national exam results to be posted. The sadness I feel during the holidays without my family. The confusion I feel when people just ramble on in a local language that I have yet to master.

I have been serving in Peace Corps for exactly one year and six months. And somewhere along the way, I fell in love with Guinea and it people despite my mixed emotions.

My first year in country was a whirlwind of learning two new languages, figuring out how to teach in a remote village, eating constant rice and sauce and fighting off cockroaches, mice and bats!

I taught mathematics and english my first year at the school in my village. I also gave review classes to my 10th graders who were preparing for the national exam (Brevat).  We had 3 of the 15 students pass the Brevat, which was a tremendous success for our village, as no one had passed the exam since 2008. All three of the students had the highest grades on the math section of the exam, which was a great validation for my first year.

I spent time in the states during the summer break. Unfortunately my vacation was turned into a medical evacuation due to some developing back injuries. I spent two months at home in physical therapy and eventually I was given permission to return to country to finish my service. I was terrified to go back. Being in the states had been so easy. Did my village even care if I came back? When I finally returned to my village, I was immediately tackled by my favorite little kids, my ‘nenes’ grabbed my hands and the men stood by smiling and waving. My village had missed me as much as I had missed them. I knew that returning to country after my medical struggles had been the right decision.

My second year (so far) has been even better than my first! I am still teaching math and english at our school and I have also taken on teaching physics as well. I give review sessions at the school and at my house. My 10th graders are incredibly hard working and intelligent this year. I am confident that we will have another successful year for the national exam. I also have an unofficial ‘girl’s club’ at my school and I spend a lot of time with my older girls talking about the importance of education. It’s been a great culture exchange.

I rang in the New Year with some great food and some great volunteers. I am looking forward to seeing what 2014 has in store for me as I continue this journey.

I will be returning to the states in just over 6 months. My official close of service is September 2014, but I have been given special permission to return early for the wonderful celebration of my brother’s wedding! I am thrilled to be away to be home for such an important event, but I cringe at the idea of leaving my family here in Guinea. I always knew that Peace Corps was a temporary thing, but I never imagined the connections I could make with the locals and the other volunteers. Having to say goodbye to my people here will be terribly difficult and I cannot say that I look forward to that day.

I will do my best to update my blog a few more times before I come home.  I miss you all in the states very much and I appreciate all the support you have shown me the past year and a half!



No comments:

Post a Comment